All About Escrow
Top Ten Questions
Escrow Articles
Mortgage Calculator
Property Management
Order All About Escrow
Search This Site
Send Us Your Suggestions
About Escrow Publishing
Email Escrow Publishing

Order Now!

User Reviews

An Online Course

An Online Course

Sandy Gadow

Sandy Gadow, a featured guest on CNN's "Open House," and a speaker on national radio as the escrow expert and has more than 25 years experience in escrow, title and real estate. A  mortgage broker and real estate sales associate, Sandy is a member of the American Land Title Association, the National Association of Realtors, and on the advisory council for the Escrow Career Center. She is the author of The Complete Guide to Your Real Estate Closing and a guest contributor to Nolo's Essential Guide to Buying your First Home. She specializes in assisting the American as well as international client. If you have questions for Sandy see our Ask Sandy page. Here are a few recent articles.

Will My Escrow Agent Have to Report My Sale to the IRS?

The Tax Reform Act of 1986 required anyone responsible for closing a real estate transaction, which may include the escrow agent, title company, or attorney, to report a real estate sale or exchange to the IRS on Form 1099-S. In addition, they were required to furnish a statement to the seller of the gross proceeds of the sale. In 1998, with the passage of the Tax Payer Relief Act of 1997, an exception to this reporting requirement was allowed.

If the sale price of your residence is $250,000 or less ($500,000 or less for married sellers) and you have lived in the property, as your principal residence, for the last two out of the last five years, your closing agent will not be required to file Form 1099-S with the IRS. The gross proceeds of the sale need not be reported to the IRS if these conditions are met.

Be sure that your closing agent has your written confirmation that your sale is exempt from the IRS reporting rule. Most closing agents have a form, called a "Certification for No Information Reporting on the Sale or Exchange of a Principal Residence" which you will you be asked to sign at closing. The form will ask for your seller information, social security number, address, and certification that you have met the exemption requirements.

Back to Previous Page

Home ] [ About Us ] [ All About Escrow ] [ Articles ] [ Ask Sandy ] [ Books ] [ Glossary ] [ Contact Us ] [ Links ] [ Mortgage Calculator ] [ Order ] [ Q & A ] [ Reviews of The Complete Guide ] [ Schools ] [ Search Site ] [ Suggestions ] [ Survey ]

Copyright 1999-2015 © Sandy Gadow—All rights reserved.
All information is deemed reliable but is not guaranteed and should be independently verified.